Monday, October 15, 2012

The 2012 Gourd Collection!




3 of our 4 big snake gourds.. two were
trellised and one was allowed to grow
on the ground, hence the 'snake shape'.

It's no secret that I LOVE my gourds.. in fact, I think I'm becoming rather obsessed and have already begun to source seed for next year.



I was very impressed with our snake gourds this year - until I read the results of the Annapolis Valley Giant Vegetable Growers. At first glance, it said 'Longest Gourd - 67 inches'.. My first thought was "I bet I can top that!!".. but then I noticed that was the children's division.. oops! I definitely don't qualify for that! So, scrolling down on the page, I see that in the adult division, the winner of the longest gourd grew a 106.25 inch specimen!!!!!! Wow, how do I get some seed from that sucker?



Yesterday, we popped into The Dill Farm in Windsor and we were able to actually see that huge snake gourd. Because it was trellised, it grew straight and long and to keep it from breaking, they have it supported against a long board. Let me tell you - from recent experience - these gourds can snap easily! Especially when they are so long. Like these competitive growers, I also grow our snake gourds on trellises, but I don't think that my trellis would be nearly tall enough.. maybe if I grew the plants up our roof..?? Something to think about this winter.   :)



Except for pumpkins and our spinning top gourds, all the gourds we grow are called hardshell gourds, a type which can be dried and preserved. They can take months to dry, but once they are ready, they can be kept for many many years. Over history, these types of gourds have been used as musical instruments, spoons, serving utensils, baskets, bushels, birdhouses, canteen's and so on. We love growing them because it's just so fun!



Anyhoo, there were lot's of other crazy gourds we grew this year - and saw even more yesterday at The Dill Farm.. Here is an overview:




Here is Fred Ansems massive snake gourd on
display at The Dill Farm (A must-visit
place!)






This fun squash/pumpkin turtle greeted us
as we entered The Dill Farm.







Another look - If you added a spiral to his 'shell', it would
make an excellent snail too!





Two of the giants of 2012, the left grown by Gerard Ansems 


at 1727 LBS - the BIGGEST pumpkin ever grown


in the Maritimes!









Gerard Ansem's other pumpkin - 1616 LBS




Some of our gourds - 2012! Long Dipper, Cannonball, Snake,
Spinning Top






Two just-picked long dipper gourds






Our collection of long dipper gourds - really want to dry
these for GIANT spoon/dippers!






Another angle of the long dipper gourds






Hello, who are you? Maybe a mutant long
dipper gourd? A pear gourd mixed in
accidently??






A sense of scale with a long dipper gourd.






Spinning top gourds - so fun!!




Our cannon ball gourd - I think?? why isn't it
round - the pressure from the trellis?






The Dill's Farm also had some giant watermelons!
I think the biggest was 140 LBS, grown in NS.
It's that big sucker in the middle.






They let us buy their smallest giant watermelon!
It was 59 LBS.. notice I said 'was'.. all I can
say is that it was sweet and delicious!






Check out that bright reddish-pink flesh!






Pretty big eh? That isn't a small spoon.. I have saved some
seed for next year.. 


No comments:

Post a Comment